Friday, September 30, 2011

Sony Tech Support: Still Making Amends


So I was playing the Ico and Shadow of the Colussus pack on my PS3 and was chatting with a friend on my PC the other night. I took a break for a second to look to the IM I responded, couldn't have taken longer than a few seconds to do. When I turned back to my screen, the PS3 was turned off. "Well that is strange." I thought to myself. So I got up from my chair and inspected the system. The red standby light was on, nothing seemed out of the ordinary but I didn't want to take any chances so I pressed the eject button on my system and was greeted by the beep to let me know it turned on, and a fiercely loud crack as if the late Macho Man Randy Savage was snapping into a Slim Jim in my ear. It was so loud that I jumped back away from the system while I was sitting. "Well that is definitely not good." I said out loud, "Perhaps its just an overheating issue." So I waited for a few minutes, give the thing some time to cool off a bit. I tap the eject button again and again I receive the beep. The lights glow for less than a second and then immediately shuts back down. Something is seriously wrong.

So bitter and grumbling, I dig up the box to my slim PS3 system and find my receipt. I bought the system in June of this year. It lasted 3 months. THREE. My 60gb lasted since the launch till this June. I'm a tad confused here because I was under the impression that new model was supposed to be a more efficient green design? A slimmer design that runs cooler, with less fan noise, and uses about 40% percent less power than its predecessor. In essence they have the smaller and quiet part down but not the cooler. I always make sure that I pull they system out some to get the proper ventilation but that did not seem to save the system. So naturally, I was pissed.



With receipt in hand I prepare to make my call to the Sony support line. I have it memorized from my time working at the game store. I dial in and something strange happened: I get the automated message but in the first one it announces that I can press zero and skip right to a representative. Don't have to deal with an a barrage of automated bullshit? Don't mind if I do. I hit zero and after the call may be monitored message it rings one time and I am put through to a very clear English speaking gentleman by the name of Mark. I understood everything he said the first time he said it, this was obviously Mark from Connecticut, not Mark from Bangalore so that's a +1 for this call. I explain my situation to him and he has me run through about 2 or 3 things and we assess that its most definitely an electrical issue. He tells me that I am still under warranty so it will be repaired free of charge. This was expected as it was only a few months old. He told me that he would be sending me a prepaid shipping box to send my system out their repair service in Texas and the time frame that I should receive it. Ive already received the shipping box so best case scenario i should have it back within 2 weeks.

Here's my problem, I knew going into the call if this is something that cannot be fixed or fixed easily, they will replace my system with a refurbished one they have already repaired. He told me "Its the same thing as buying it brand new out of a retailer." To which I immediately shot back, "With all due respect, I have worked at a GameStop for like 7 or 8 years. Every single one of those refurbished ones come back within days. They are hardly like buying it new." But I understood that and that wasn't the issue. What did bother me is he would let know that regardless if they system could be repaired or not, they were going to wipe my hard drive. I understand its a security issue but that's another 70 hours of Yakuza 4, my new Disgaea 4 save, and another set of Demon's souls saves. Considering I just had to start a few of these games from scratch a scant few months ago I'm kinda ticked off.

Since my credit card was used during the big Sony hacking this summer, my new system had no information on it. So I threw a note in there asking if they wouldn't wipe the drive but I'm expecting it to be gone when I get it. The other big complaint is the game I have been waiting for all year is Dark Souls. Its the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls which as most PS3 owners can tell you is one of the most difficult games you can play, its a game I love immensely. I have been really stoked to play it but now I might not have my system by it comes out. Major bummer. But perhaps there is hope, as I got the box to mail it out almost the next day and I have shipped out my system already.

Ultimately however I have to say that most of the time dread having to make a tech support call of any kind. But I was overall very pleased with the speed, clarity and helpfulness of the call I made. It certainly seems like Sony is focusing on keeping up their customer service standards. I guess they are still trying to keep people happy after letting so many people down over this past summer. Who knows....

So with my PS3 out for repair and Dead Island becoming completely unplayable because I die every few steps, I cracked open my sealed copy of Fable 3. I've been debating doing a review for it because the game has been out for so long that it might as well be a retro review. The initial reviews are not that great, but perhaps that will change as I play the game.. In the mean time the next few reviews might be a while or perhaps I can get some guest reviews going or something. Hang tight peeps.

5 comments:

  1. Can't say I own a PS3, but the image on said system in flames is about my experience (I played one at a con party and it kept shutting down due to overheating.) Hope yours comes back ok from the shop, and good to hear of a nice customer service experience every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Convention Systems though are begging for overheating though. They take these devices and lock them in plastic containers with zero ventilation and then leave them running for 24 hours. No wonder they overheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is something new to me. I did not know about these backup plans. I was following only tech support for brand since they were really good at that. Thank you for this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Specialized assistance is a fundamental thing these days. Since different individuals need to explore another region any way they can do those things by ideals of lacking explicit help. managed it services maryland giving different association on the IT

    ReplyDelete